Hanna Fenichel Center for Development
Board of Directors
April 26, 2016
Board Members Present: Lisa Hoeck (co-president), Sally Rollinson (Co-President), Jenny Gaylord (Secretary), Vanessa London (Vice President), Patrick Lenihan, Li Molloie, Scott Frank (Treasurer), Allison Wachtel; Pete Adams; Chris Wakeman; Byron Fergerson
Board Members Absent: Kali Kim, Byron Fergerson, Joanne Callan
Staff Present: Julie Brackbill (Director)
Call to Order: 7:15
Approval of Minutes
- March 22; Motion to Approve: Vanessa London; Second: Li Malloie; All in Favor. Abstain: Scott Frank (Treasurer), Allison Wachtel; Pete Adams; Chris Wakeman
- 4 new members joining board next year. Sean Deitch, Mike Milligan, Courtney Stone, Seana McGeary
- May 12 Meeting Location – location TBD
- Purpose is to look at vision of school and refresh of vision, fundamental core principals, etc.
- Valentine Exercise – Scott to lead us through it. (what do you like?, what do you want to stop?, what would you want to change?)
- Total revenue was $75, Cost was 24k, Net: $51k! (total of all fundraising this school year was just shy of $100k!)
- Why was this year so much more successful than last? The committee will look into it and develop some reflections/analyses
- We may want to remove the concept of a VIP table – maybe just try to downplay the separation
- Let’s give the recognition and present to the chairs at the event next year
- Casino – fun, but prizes maybe not really successful
Director's Report (Julie Brackbill)
- Camp enrollment looks very good!
- Actively looking for 3 students to fill our 3 Day PM class. Families in our 3 Day wait pool only want the AM class.
- Continue to offer tours.
- Staff was really happy with it
- Everyone seemed to have lots of fun and art look great
- Reflections of Art Show all seemed pretty positive
- Hosted Dr. Chris Wood for a Nutrition talk. We had about 18 people attend.
- Announced upcoming Village Talks event with Dr. Tina Bryson.
- Interview and hired Jeanine Gutowski, an experienced prekindergarten Reggio-inspired teacher, for 5 Day Rm 4, starting during our Summer Camp transition.
- Hiring our beloved sub, Mimi, to teach in our Transiton class during summer camp.
- Supported a SUPER successful Spruce up Hanna morning on Saturday, April 23. The people who volunteered, including the husbands of Marissa and Emily, were incredibly helpful. THANK YOU, CHRIS!
- Looking into hiring a Handy Person for the next school year.
- Met with flooring experts from Solana Flooring to measure our facility and discuss appropriate and affordable options for our school.
- Working on budget for 2016-17. Budget to be shared and voted on at May 12 meeting.
- Compiling estimate for playground improvements and classroom improvements. Estimate to be shared shortly.
- Request for $6000 be allocated for End-of-Year teacher bonuses. Wants to go to about $500 per teacher for a bonus. Motion to Approve: Patrick Lenihan; Second: Scott Frank. All in Favor.
- Next year salary goes up 3% as of end of August.
Site Committee (Chris via Jenny)
- Spruce up held 4/23, the only thing on the list not completed was #3
1. Ceiling tiles Room 4
2. Calking around rim of sinks (between Rooms 1 &2)
3. Adjusting sliding door on bottom cabinet Room 4
4. Replace wood on gate to garden - Chris to get wood and cut to size and prime
5. Shorten the legs of tables and chairs (Room 3&4)
6. Hang projector screen Room 2 - Chris to get wood and cut to size
7. Power wash bottom yard
To do list
- Some kitchen repair Room 3
- Adjusting sliding door on bottom cabinet Room 4
- Paint the garden gate
Annual Giving (Vanessa)
Finance Committee (Scott)
The most recent numbers we have are for January. Here is an overview:
- Net income is up a little over 5% from the same time last year, with Income up a little over 3%.
- The center continues to outperform budgeted expectations - Actual net income of $40,788.18 versus Budget $18,495.50.
- With over $360,000 in the Money Market account and $129,568 in the Weatherly Asset Management account, the center is very well funded. A majority of the money market is offset by the deferred revenue (deposits for tuition).
Governance & Policies
Parent Education (Alison via Jenny)
- Preparing for the last Village Talks speaker, Dr. Tina Payne Bryson. She's presenting on 4/28 at 7pm at The Unity Center to discuss, "Parenting with the brain in mind." Hoping to have at least 18 parents from Hanna Fenichel attend the talk. Teachers are free.
- Quickly discussed wanting to move on new flooring and rugs in classrooms. Vinyl roll that does have a bit of a cushion. Solana Beach Flooring. (about $12k for all rooms). If we end up wanting to swap any sinks out, that should actually be done before the floors. Chris is looking into finding plumber – definitely need to replace the faucets, but maybe want to replace the whole vanity ($6k - $8k for 2 new sinks/vanities). May need to prioritize outside and inside – depending on how the numbers all play out.
- New rugs – worn out, stained, etc.
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm